Swimming Pool FAQ
Pool Construction and Pool Service’s Frequently Asked Questions
Sunshine Fun Pools answers some of the most popular questions asked by customers regarding purchasing a pool, custom pool design, construction, and equipment.
Please click the + sign to reveal the answer.
If you have any other questions you’d like to be answered, don’t hesitate to contact one of Sunshine Fun Pools’s experts.
Q. What features and design elements should we consider?
- Game and activity pool or diving pool (for water recreation)?
- Lots of length (for swimming laps)?
- Spa and/or tanning ledge (for soaking and relaxing)?
- Raised spa, custom mosaics, or special lighting (for visual impact)?
- Rock waterfalls, power falls, adjustable spray heads, or fountains (for the soothing sounds of falling water)?
- Tropical freeform, roman shape, traditional, or contemporary shape (expressing the appeal of your home)?
Q. What should I do to prepare for our initial visit?
- It will be very helpful if you have a copy of your home property survey or plot plan (the map of your lot & home usually found with home closing papers). Sunshine Fun Pools will measure your yard, but we need your survey or plot plan to spot existing easements which may affect the design.
- Sunshine Fun Pools, as part of our normal practices, will call and locate service before we dig. However, if possible, flag your backyard electric, water, sewer, gas, cable and phone lines in advance to see if they require rerouting. If they do, allowances can be added to your estimate, avoiding ‘surprise’ expenses later.
- Make the project a family affair. Tell everyone in your family to write down specific needs and preferences in order to be prepared to discuss them with us. The more input we have from your family, the better we can tailor the project to meet everyone’s needs. As we want to design the pool with you in mind, we need both husband and wife to be available for 1 1/2 to 2 hours during our scheduled design meeting. The whole family is welcome.
- If you are planning a home improvement or home equity loan, let us know. We want to help and have access to financing when equity is low. We can be a valuable source of information. The loan approval and homeowner’s association approval can be done simultaneously
Q. What if we change our mind about the design?
Just tell us! This is not like a car purchase where you can’t trade in. Let’s get the design perfect. We will provide explanations and make suggestions about designs and practicality, but you will make the final decision. Send us back to the drawing board until you get what you want. We don’t mind because our goal is to create the perfect outdoor environment that will bring you happiness for years to come.
Q. How long will it take to complete my pool?
The average pool project takes about 4 to 8 weeks weather permitting. Keep in mind, every added feature will add a few days to the total construction time. Special inspections and features take more time. We do not sacrifice the strength or the structural integrity of your pool with unattainable deadlines. Our commitment is to provide you with a safe, quality and complete pool at an affordable price. Most of our pools are completed within 30 to 60 days.
Q. How will you know what type of design and materials compliment our home and lifestyle?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions about what type of materials can be used for the construction and finishing of your pool. Sunshine Fun Pools’s design and project management professionals will take all the time needed to answer your questions and discuss details with you before and during the construction of your pool, spa, waterfall, and decking.
Q. How does financing work?
Sunshine Fun Pools’s customers can receive great financing offers from our Preferred lenders. Home improvement, home equity, new construction, and refinancing loans are available for most qualified homeowners. Adding value to your home and enjoying your backyard entertainment center can be done simultaneously. Financing is easy! Our staff will complete all the paperwork and turn in the financing application on your behalf. We work with the bank on every loan to make sure that our customers get the best deal possible. Come visit us and see just how close you are to owning the pool of your dreams.
At Sunshine Fun Pools, should you not be approved for financing for any reason, your down payment is returned to you in full.
Q. What must we do during the construction of our pool?
What you should do before construction is to get financial approval, notifying us of the closing date at the bank or title company and letting us know who we may contact about payment and terms. We can provide the information needed by your homeowner’s association, but usually they will contact you for approval. Make sure you call us to proceed.
- Sunshine Fun Pools requires six meetings during the following phases of the construction process with the project superintendents:
- Pool layout
- Tile and coping to make sure it’s all correct
- Decking layout
- Plaster to ensure correct color
- Pool School
- During construction, please keep children and pets clear of the pool site to avoid any injuries. We have insurance, but it is intended for our workers, not for your family and friends.
- The day after gunite has been applied please lightly spray the surface with water twice a day for 7 days to help the curing process. When coping and tile is applied, please refrain from watering it on that day.
- Our plaster crew will start to fill the pool with water when they finish and you are to observe the water level and not turn the water off before it reaches ¾ up to the waterline tile, then fill the spa if there is one. A second hose can be used, but taking care to cover the metal end and not running water directly onto the new plaster is requested. Do not allow anyone into the pool prior to our starting it for you. Call us when the pool is full, so we can have the equipment started, chemicals introduced and explain its operation for you. Damage may occur to the plaster if anything is in the pool that can cause indentations or staining, so please do not allow objects to get on the plaster. Rock waterfalls should not be used during the startup period, and any debris in the pool should be removed promptly. Our warranty for plaster does not include damage to the surface. It does however cover durability of surfaces after the startup period. Warranties range from one to 10 years, depending on the pool interior you select. Slight imperfections for all surfaces are normal, with stone surfaces taking on various color hues most notable when lighted.
- At startup, we will request the pump remain running 24 hours daily for up to to 10 days. It is important to keep the water level at the proper level in your pool and check it every day during this startup period. During the five to 10 day startup period you are to brush the plaster twice daily. The heater is not to be used & do not use an automatic cleaner with wheels, such as the Viio, during this startup period.
- After the initial 10 day period, the timers or Aqualogic for the pump can be set and the cleaner set to clean your pool each day. You should then test the water and observe the water level and chemical balance on a regular basis. Do not drain the pool at any time. We can be consulted at any time or most pool service stores will be happy to check your water and provide recommendations on what needs to be done to keep your water sparkling clear. Our pool service page offers information on filter cleaning and references for generic chemical treatments for your information.
- If you pool has a heater and it is fueled by propane gas, you may need to contact your gas company to have them make the final connection to the gas meter. Please let the person you are contacting at your gas company know the size of your pool and spa heater (typically 400k BTU). We cannot schedule the final connection, so you will need to call them directly and make payment to them when the work is done.
- Everything is under warranty, so please call us if anything seems to not work properly. We are the authorized Hayward warranty for B/CS here to serve you needs.